The European Council on Tolerance and Reconciliation (ECTR)
is an international NGO, established in October 2008 by Aleksander Kwasniewski, former President of Poland and Moshe Kantor, President of the European Jewish Congress. The idea of the Council dates back to the International Stockholm Forum on the Holocaust organized by the Swedish Government on the 26-28 January 2000, which emphasized that the whole international community shares a solemn responsibility to fight such evils as racism, anti-Semitism and xenophobia.
The European Council on Tolerance and Reconciliation is a non-partisan and non-governmental institution. It is envisaged to be an opinion-making and advisory body on international tolerance promotion, reconciliation and education. It fosters understanding and tolerance among peoples of various ethnic origin; educates on techniques of reconciliation; facilitates post-conflict social apprehensions; monitors chauvinistic behaviors, proposes protolerance initiatives and legal solutions.
The European Council on Tolerance and Reconciliation consists of distinguished representatives of the civic society in Europe and beyond. ECTR Members have all proven with their past and current activities the importance they attribute to the remembrance of the past, promoting tolerance and combating racism and xenophobia today in Europe. The seat of the ECTR is in Brussels.
- Tony Blair- former Prime Minister of the UK (1997-2007), Chairman of ECTR (2015-)
- Moshe Kantor - President of the European Jewish Congress and the World Holocaust Forum,
Co-Chairman of ECTR (2008-2015), President of ECTR (2015-)
- Jose María Aznar - former Prime Minister of Spain
- Erhard Busek - former Special Coordinator for the Stability Pact for Southeast Europe and former
Vice-Chancellor of Austria
- Talât Sait Halman - former Minister of Culture of the Turkish Republic, Professor of Bilkent University
- Igor Ivanov - former Foreign Minister and Secretary of the Security Council of Russia
- Milan Kučan - former President of Slovenia
- Alfred Moisiu - former President of Albania
- Göran Persson - former Prime Minister of Sweden
- Rita Süssmuth - former Speaker of the German Bundestag
- Vilma Trajkovska - President of the Boris Trajkovski International Foundation, Macedonia
- George Vassiliou - former President of the Republic of Cyprus
- Vaira Vīķe-Freiberga - former President of Latvia
- Ireneusz Bil - Secretary General of ECTR